Sunday, April 29, 2012

New Floors

Our Spring Break is the last week of March.  Instead of going on a trip, we spent money on a huge home renovation.


Problem: Not enough room around our kitchen table.


Solution: Knock out the wall between our living room and kitchen.


Wanted: wood laminate floors in living room and kitchen. 



Action: pulled out existing hard wood floors in living room.
Reason: wanted a smooth transition between the two rooms.
Probably should not have done this.


Reason: had to put sub-flooring down before laying laminate floors.


Time: several hours for four days.
Labor: had lots of help from family, friends, and ward members.


Do I like it? yes
Is it hard to keep clean? yes
Was this renovation hard on my marriage? yes
Should we have spent the money on a vacation instead? yes
Was it stressful? 
Yes, because it's taken me over a month to blog about it without having heart palpitations.


Here's an "after" picture taken about a month later.  I love the open feel of the front two rooms, although I still don't have a lot of room around my kitchen table.  I'm constantly cleaning the floors and the dark wood shows a lot of dusty footprints.


Here's a view from the kitchen.  My mom helped pick out the rug and suggested I recover my hope chest with the striped material.  My mother-in-law made the pillows and curtains.  I love that the color of the floors match/blend with the wood furniture I already have.

3 comments:

Kar said...

Hahaha! Dude, were those ward dudes working for free??? That's so nice!! It looks so fantastic in there. And I'm sorry it was hard on you. :)

Patty said...

It's GORGEOUS!

Chapman Family said...

Wow, that looks amazing!! You guys are so awesome!!